The Somerset County Business Partnership (SCBP) was born in 2001. The vision that led to the creation of the organization still inspires us. We continue to believe in the power of a partnership between the private, public, and non-profit sectors speaking with a united voice to advance a strategic agenda. We remain committed to achieving the goal of economic vitality in Somerset County.
We also recognize that the world has changed since 2001. The recent economic crisis has been transformative. For the first time since the 1930’s, New Jersey will end the decade with fewer jobs than we had at the start of the decade. Most of this job loss has accelerated in the latter part of this decade. As we head towards recovery, we must recognize that New Jersey has inherent competitive disadvantages that make it difficult for our businesses to compete, grow and prosper.
We, as a community, now face the need for a revised vision that is equal to the transformative changes we face; one that charges us to eliminate or overcome New Jersey’s disincentives to economic growth and one that allows our economy to prosper in the new economic reality.
We say, with confidence, that the SCBP is positioned to achieve our core purpose of leading the business community to a future that is prosperous and sustainable. Through the previous contributions of Somerset County business and political leaders, we hold a unique position within the community:
• Our 90 year history as a Chamber of Commerce servicing Somerset County businesses and our status as the only accredited Chamber in New Jersey.
• Our tradition of recognizing and nurturing growing businesses within Somerset County through our annual events and programs.
• Our successful track record in advocating and obtaining infrastructure investments in Somerset County to address problems in congestion.
• Our unique collaboration in providing economic development services to the entire county.
• Our track record in developing a “smart growth” agenda to guide community development and promote environmental sustainability.
• Our status as the official tourism destination marketing organization for Somerset County.
• Our role in leading and obtaining shared services.
• Our ability to act as Somerset County’s voice of business to drive a legislative agenda.
It is through your voice and action that the Business Partnership can be recognized as the leader in the Somerset County business community. With your help we can continue to make Somerset County the place to live, work and grow your business.